Writing Wishes

On Friday, it just so happened that I watched about twenty minutes of the children's TV programme, Blue Peter.  I know, I know - let's not even go there with reasons why I was watching children's TV on a Frdiay afternoon. Perhaps I should refer you to my earlier post, entitled Distractions and Excuses for an indication of why this might have taken place.

Anyway, I digress. One of the guests on the show was Jacqueline Wilson who seemed a lovely lovely lady and who answered all budding novelist questions with helpful and encouraging responses. My favourite question asked of Jacqueline was:

 "If you had a wish what would it be?"

Jacqueline's response was:

"The ability to write a book in a day as this would enable her to spend two days writing two books and then she would have 363 days left in which to have fun each year."

I have to admit that I was quite surprised by her response tending to believe that all writers can think of nothing better than to sit composing their stories and tales and labouring over their work day after day. But Jacqueline's answer did get me thinking about my own writing wishes. 

My greatest wish at this point in time would be to see a piece of my work published and available to others to read - say a story or an article in a magazine. Yes that would be a good starting point. If I had a fabulous magic wand that I could wave around randomly granting wishes to all around including myself, then I'd love to walk past a window of Waterstones and see my book in all it's glory displayed for all to see and of course to buy. I can almost picture the cover now. Just imagine what that must feel like. My book, that I wrote, right there in the window. I'd be stuck outside Waterstones for hours stopping strangers on the street, saying see that book, yes that one there in the window "I wrote that." What a marvellous day that would be and my smile would go on for days and days and for miles and miles.

But, after all these were writing wishes and not the real world. Jacqueline did share that each of her books takes six months to write and lots of hard work and effort, so once again I am reminded that it's about turning up at the page every day, putting words down in some sort of order and structure that build into a story that others would like to read.

One final piece of advice from Jacqueline which was in response to a question about what advice she would give to her ten or eleven year old self:

"Stop worrying - it will all be ok"

So thank you Jacqueline - your words have inspired me to worry less and write more.

Comments

Popular Posts